What will We Get:
- Adding WordPress meta box function to create a input meta box for all post in a WordPress theme to get a hyperlink value and save it
- Using the meta box value in all posts to display hyperlink saved by meta box.
What will We Use
WordPress, CSS, HTML, PHP
How to Implement in WordPress
Adding meta boxes can be divided into three parts
- Adding Meta box to Post types
- Function to display forms fields on the posts
- Saving Meta box value
- Using saved meta box values
1. Adding Meta Box to Post Types
Following function will be added to
function.php file of your WordPress which will add a meta box to all post types in your WordPress.
2. Function to display forms fields on the posts
This function will add form field to post edit screen where you will add the value to the meta box. This function should be added to
3. Saving Meta box value
Following function will do several things. It is responsible to check multiple validations before saving the values. These checks ensures that value saved correctly. after checking necessary conditions this function will save the values to WordPress database. This function also should be added to
4. Using saved meta box values
This is the last piece of code of our sample. Here we will retrieve the saved meta box value and use it. We can use this value for any purpose needed for our project. In this example you can write below code to your custom page template or post template
single.php to display saved meta box value to show saved Download Link.